Monday, November 5, 2007
Depression
I spent the weekend in a mini-funk. On Friday night I received bad news, my teenage daughter got caught speeding and all I could envision was the cost of the fine and the insurance premiums rocketing skyward. Insurances are the #1 rip-off in the world! They sell themselves to you as life's safety net and then when you need them (after years worth of hefty premiums) they jack up your premium for the rest of your life. Anyway, my initial anger took a wrong turn and spiraled downward into a depressing mindset. And there I was all night, all day Saturday, and right into Sunday morning. I was just empty, drained, tired; depressed. Everyone who knows me noticed it on Saturday and Sunday. I had to even preach in that kind of mood, but slowly as Sunday went on I began to recover. Why? Some of it was self-recognition of what was happening and wanting to recover. A good portion of it had to do with being at church, with God's people, and in worship. The third affect once again came from my daughter (yes, the same one who got the speeding ticket). As we were leaving church she received a phone call that a college classmate (she's a freshman) was killed that morning in an ATV accident. This young man had become a good friend of hers. It was truly tragic and it made my pity party look pretty insignificant. A young life snuffed out just like that! I can only imagine the grief of his parents and the small university campus he was a part of. It reminded me of the phone call I received late one night more than 20 years ago telling me my 24 year old good college friend had died in a drowning accident. It was unbelievable news, but unreversably true. I praise the Lord for keeping His promise to shepherd me through the valley of the shadow of death. I passed nearby this weekend, but now its in the rear view mirror.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment